"All staff were caring and attentive"

About: Royal Alexandra Hospital / General Surgery

I had breast surgery recently at the RAH and all the staff were very caring and attentive. I was in Ward 20 before I went to theatre and then spent 3 nights in Ward 29. Unfortunately when Ward 29 closed on the Friday I was not quite ready for home, so was moved through to Ward 28 for another 2 nights where my excellent care continued.

In Ward 29 I had a single room which was lovely as I was able to have peace and quiet, and the privacy was really appreciated. When I was able to get about, I made sure to walk around the ward for exercise and it was nice to see other people.

When I was moved to Ward 28, I shared a room with 3 other women which was fine in itself (2 of whom were going through similar treatments), but I wasn't so keen on the fact that the room had no toilet or bathroom, which were across the corridor. There was also no door on the room which meant that noise carried up the ward, although to be fair, the nurses at night were very quiet.

All the staff from Consultant Surgeons, Anaesthetists, Charge Nurses, Staff Nurses, Student Nurses, Auxilliary Nurses, Catering Staff and Cleaning Staff deserve absolute praise for the brilliant job they do. I would like to praise a few individuals who really stood out for me - Mr Musyoka (Surgeon), Ms Krupa (Surgeon), Dr Aitken (Anaesthetist), Charge Nurse Noreen from Ward 29, Night Auxilliary Nurse Margaret from Ward 29 and Staff Nurse Karen from Ward 28, Thank you!

Dear evelynv,

Thank you for writing again to update us on the next stage in your journey - I know that you have been using Patient Opinion at all stages and I am really pleased to hear that your surgery has now taken place and I hope that you are recovering well.

It is great to hear that on the three different wards you stayed on you were consistently treated with kindness and all the staff you encountered were attentive to your needs. I will pass on your comments to the ward teams involved, particularly those who you mentioned especially, who I am sure will be delighted with your kind feedback.

You have raised a couple of points however to be taken on board, particularly around the additional move you had after your surgery. Your point also about the noise that carries through the corridor is also something we are very aware of, particularly at night, and I am glad that the nurses demonstrated that they were aware of not creating any additional noise at night.

Thank you again for taking the time to pass on your feedback, and I wish you well with your recovery.

Lorna

• evelynv thinks this response is helpful