"I had to bring my elderly father ..."

About: The Whittington Hospital

I had to bring my elderly father for a colonoscopy. There staff and doctors were all very helpful towards him and very professional. The out-patients area was very clean and tidy.

Parking is horrendous at the hospital especially for those bringing in patients that cannot walk far and have had a procedure done that requires an anaesthetic.

The nursing staff suggested that I should bring the car round to the exit of the unit. However, the lady on the gate was most unhelpful, rude and argumentative and I had to battle to get into the hospital grounds despite explaining the situation and being willing to pay for the duration of the stay. After about 5 minutes of being harangued, she let me in.

Whilst I understand that there is limited parking on the hospital grounds there should be some leeway for those undertaking procedures such as colonoscopies especially those that cannot walk far at the best of times. In addition, the attitude of the person on the gate gives a bad impression of the Trust as this is the first person one would meet on arrival.

Response from The Whittington Hospital

Thank you for your feedback. Apologies that this was not responded to before, however the PALS and Complaints Department have only recently taken on responding to NHS Choices feedback.

I am glad that you had some positive experiences but very sorry that the parking staff were not helpful. Should you have concerns about any aspect of the care and activity provided by the Whittington in future, please do not hesitate to contact the PALS and Complaints Department on 020 7288 5551 or whh-tr.whitthealthpals@nhs.net.