"Stress free visit to A&E"

About: Northern General Hospital / Accident and emergency

I went to the A&E department last week after a sleepless night of being in pain and discomfort. Upon arriving, the department was pretty quiet as it was 9am. The receptionist was very kind. After about 2 minutes of sitting down in the waiting room, I was called through to see the triage nurse. The nurse seemed very moody and didn't seem to believe me with what I was saying, which made me feel very uncomfortable and that I'd have a horrible time in the department, but this wasn't the case, and luckily it was only a quick 5 minute spell of bad staffing. The first nurse I saw was really nice. I then saw the doctor and they discussed what was going to happen and asked me if I had any questions. One of the nurses came along to carry out the procedure, there was a little problem so they had to call in another doctor and the original doctor, but things worked out. I was made to feel very comfortable during my stay and out of all 10 health care professionals I saw during 4 hours in A&E (receptionist, nurses, doctors, porters and paramedics) all but one (the triage nurse) were lovely and really kind. They all made conversation with me, about how life was, what I've been up to etc to help take my mind off the fact I was in hospital. If it wasn't for these lovely staff members, my stay wouldn't have been half as tolerable. I was referred to a ward well within 4 hours of arriving in A&E. Thank you to everyone who was involved in my care that day!

Response from Deborah Hopkinson, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to provide the Trust with an insight to your care which on the whole seemed very good. It was disappointing however, to learn that one member of staff let the team down with poor customer care skills. I will pass on your comments and hopefully the individual concerned will reflect upon this. Kind regards.