"Feeling unsupported by mental health crisis support"

About: Queen Mary's Hospital / Mental health care

I called my crisis support line over a weekend, when I felt very distressed, anxious, upset and at risk of self harm.

I have used this service a many times over the years, as a whole they have been very supportive, empathetic, given advice - where needed, supported me in the home - ( when referred ) and generally excellent.

On this occasion I felt like Very un-supported, questioned as if they were reading from a manual, no understanding was given, the call was very abrupt. I did question it and was told the service had changed - which I felt its a shame that as a service user its a shame that were not informed? or asked our opinion?

The lady I spoke to who did try to get me to use some of my distraction techniques - which really didn't work for me. Then in an angry tone repeated them back to me, and said this has not worked, this hasn't worked and so on.. She then said to me, we have been on the phone now 20 minutes all I can do is call you an ambulance, bye I have to go now.

I do appreciate the cuts to the system and how hard staff work, but I was shocked and felt pretty awful after that call, and feel the need to flag it up for the benefit of others.

Response from Victoria Gregory, Patient Experience Manager, South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust We are preparing to make a change

Dear 'nuts'

best wishes

Victoria

• nuts thinks this response is helpful

Response from Queen Mary's Hospital

Message from Complaints at South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust Dear 'nuts' My name is Victoria and I am the Patient Experience Manager for the Trust. Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about our services although I am very sorry that you do not appear to have had a positive experience. I have fed back your experience to the managers of the Support Line and they have confirmed that service users were consulted about the Crisis Line, the predecessor of the Support Line, and this informed the development of the Line as it is now. However, your views are most welcome and if you would like to email me on complaintsmanager@swlstg-tr.nhs.uk I can facilitate a meeting or conversation between you with the managers, Sandie or Alan, to discuss this further. They will be taking your feedback to the team for reflection and development to improve the way calls are handled but if you were to email me dates and times when you called we can the track the call and feedback to the individual member of staff and part of their training. best wishes Victoria