"Forth Perianal abscess/ fistula-in-ano/ Seton ..."

About: Rotherham Hospital

I was admitted into Rotherham hospital early November 2014 for the drainage for an Perianal abscess which was carried out in the emergency theatre. At the end of November I was operated on again for a further abscess after which I was told by the surgeon I had a Fistula and would need an M.R.I. scan. I had the scan some weeks later and heard no more from the hospital so my G.P. got me an appointment at the clinic when seen I was told I needed to have a Seton fitted. This was done on the 31 December 2014. I was discharged from hospital on the first January 2015 without any consultation or care instructions. My G. P. had to get me a further clinic appointment early April 2015 as I was having considerable pain and discomfort on clinic attendance I only saw a registrar and was told I would have to have another operation. The forth operation was carried out on the 5 May 2015 in which he fitted another Seton (this giving me two Setons). The surgeon told me in the operation room this was all they could do for me and I would have to stay like this for life and would not need to be seen in clinic again. I was discharge the next day by the registrar without any care instructions. I saw my G. P. some 5 days later and after hearing how I had gone on they were very unhappy of the treatment and outcome.

Response from Kerry Hollingworth, Corporate Affairs Officer, The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

Hello my name is Jane Pearce, Matron for General Surgery at The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust. I am sorry to hear about your concerns regarding your treatment. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you personally. If you wish to do so, please contact me on 01709 424596 and I would be happy to discuss your experience in more detail and help address your concerns regarding your care.

With best wishes.