"The hospital should provide a more private area to wait"

About: William Harvey Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

I was referred for xray to my lower back having experienced pain and mobility problems.

I was asked to undress and don a gown in a cubicle, keep my own clothes with me in a basket (provided) and wait in the open waiting area until called. I made a face and said I was not comfortable about sitting in a hospital gown and my ankle boots in the very busy waiting room, so a very friendly nurse suggested I sit just down the corridor from the cubicles which was slightly more private. I do think it is important to consider a patient's feelings about modesty.

At the age of 67 despite being a confident and outgoing lady, I am no longer a young woman and have more dignity than I used to have! I appreciate that the department was very busy and I am grateful for that friendly nurse, with whom I had a nice chat whilst waiting, but I feel that when the x-ray requires the patient to undress, the hospital should provide a more private area for them to wait.

Having said all that, the treatment I received was excellent and the outcome was more than satisfactory - it appears that the problem is due to age-related osteoarthritis which I can now manage with my GP's help.

Response from Sally Smith, Chief Nurse and Director Of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you so of much for your feedback. I will certainly ask the staff to consider what you have experienced as I can imagine this must have felt slightly awkward for you. I will ask them to consider ways we can improve the environment so that we can maintain people's modesty and dignity in a better way. Thank you for your kind comments about the staff.

Sally

• halleluja thinks this response is helpful

Response from William Harvey Hospital

I am so sorry to learn that your dignity was not properly attended to. I can appreciate the discomfort you felt. Sadly it is difficult in the busy hospital environment to provide more private areas in which to sit, but I am glad to learn that the nurse helped you with a more private area and kept you company while you waited. I am glad to learn that the treatment you received was so good and that you now have a way forward in being able to manage your condition.

• halleluja thinks this response is helpful