"using the 111 service for the first time"

About: Care UK East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust Grantham & District Hospital / Accident and emergency

I had to use the 111 service for the first time 2 weeks ago, during the week my husband had developed what I thought was a water infection, and a doctor who came to see him confirmed it but said he didn't need treatment because his temperature was normal and therefore he was over the worst. Unfortunately two days later very suddenly my husband became extremely ill and I feared he was having another stroke as he couldn't stand or speak properly this was when I contacted the 111 service and an extremely nice lady took the information and called the paramedics while I carried on giving her the information she required.

I kept the line free as requested but used my mobile to call my neighbour and before they could cross the road to come to help the paramedic arrived! ! ! ! within minutes, and he said the infection had returned and his temperature was so high he had no control over his movements, and promptly gave him paracetamol and by the time the ambulance arrived, again very promptly, he was beginning to regain control of speech etc. , much to my relief, We were however taken to A&E at Grantham, followed by our neighbours who sat in the waiting room for about 5 hours until all the results were in and he was allowed home about 1. 30 am. So my thanks to all concerned including two very cheerful ambulance staff, and all staff at the hospital.

Response from East Midlands Ambulance Service

Dear Chandene,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We are sorry to hear your husband has been unwell.

It is good to read about our prompt response and that our ambulance crew were able to provide you and your husband with reassurance on scene and during the journey to hospital.

If you are able to email us the date, time and location of the incident to communications@emas.nhs.uk, we will be able to identify the ambulance crew and share your positive feedback with them.

Melanie Wright, EMAS Communications.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Chandene

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is always nice to receive positive feedback. We always try to treat people as we would like to be treated. I will ensure the whole team is aware of such lovely feedback.

Teresa Shepherd