"Camhs treatment of my daughter"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services – Inpatient

(as a parent/guardian),

My daughter had been with camhs for over a year and had attempted suicide several times.

Recently she was admitted to an inpatient facility to maintain her safety. She was discharged within 3 months and felt better for a short amount of time.

She then became severely depressed (suicidal tendencies) and attempted suicide multiple times.

Camhs outpatient team (tier 3) discharged her even though they were aware of the extent to her illness, because they said she wasn't opening up in sessions. This is because she suffers with severe social anxiety issues. She has since overdosed many times and been re-admitted to the outpatient unit. She received next to no help and was discharged shortly after.

The camhs team told her they would contact her local hospital if she overdosed again telling them she is not to be assessed by a psychiatrist after being treated initially. I feel as though she is being mistreated due to her anxiety and inability to open up about all of her problems.

Camhs have given up on my daughter so easily and I feel as though I do not have the skill set to help her work through her problems

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your daughters treatment and discharge.

I am really sorry to read that you feel CAMHS have given up on your daughter so easily through such difficult times.

I have already made contact with the general manager of our CAMHS services and made her aware of your feedback. I have asked her to make sure it reaches the staff in the service your daughter received so that we can respond fully.

As a carer, your voice is crucial here and we want to listen to what you say.

Your feedback is very important to us as it is the best way to improve our services.

You can expect a fuller reply soon

Jane

Response from Rebecca Keating, Team Lead Specialist Community CAMHS (North), Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear about the difficulties your daughter has and is experiencing and how you feel that CAMHS has given up on her. If you can call me on 01159560866 I will try to find out more about what has happened in order to think about how you and your daughter can be supported.

Rebecca

Response from Rachel Towler, Deputy General Manager,, Community CAMHS, Specialist Services Directorate

Thank you for sharing your thoughts in relation to the treatment your daughter has received from the CAMH service. I am very disapointed to read this post of how difficult things have been for both your daughter and your family.

As a service we very much need to understand from our young people and their families where, at times, needs have not been met. We can then learn from them and ensure that we make any recommended necessary changes.

The CAMH service at the present time is undergoing some signifcant service redesign in order to provide a more seamless pathway for all children and youg people with emotional and mental health needs. Extenstive work is taking place in transforming our offer during crisis. The information your have provided will be utilised to inform our pathway work.

If you need to discuss this further with myself then please contact me via Thorneywood Nottingham.

Rachel