"Pharmacy Service appalling.. Very Very..."

About: William Harvey Hospital

Having been admitted for a procedure and overnight stay on the Coronary Care Unit I was advised at 10.40am by the Doctors that I would require 1 box of Statins before I could go home. The Ward nurse indicated that the Pharmacy were very busy and that it could take 3 to 4 hours to obtain the drugs. The ward Nurses made several phone calls and visited the Pharmacy in an effort to obtain the drugs and were obviously embarrassed by the lack of service. On one occasion I was advised that the drugs required checking and should be delivered soon. Over 2 hours passed and the drugs were not delivered !! My box of Statins were eventually delivered to the ward @ 5.45pm !! It had taken over 6 Hours to take a box from a shelf / cabinet, check the name and content and deliver, absolutely Ludicrous !! A review of procedure and processes are obviously required within the Pharmacy !!

Response from Sally Smith, Chief Nurse and Director Of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Mr Bird,

I am so sorry to hear of this unacceptable wait that you experienced. I will indeed give the Pharmacy Managers your feedback so that they can make the appropriate improvements. Please accept my sincere apologies.