"Keeping the dignity of patients!"

About: East Surrey Hospital

My auntie is in buckland ward and I visited today. I am a care assistant working for barchester health care and was very upset at the lake of dignity and respect one of the patients was getting. As the curtains were around the bed and they had there bowels open. I was sitting at my auntie's bedside and the nurses that were in there hadn't shut the curtain properly. They kept opening the curtains whilst the patient was lying on the bed. There was nothing over her to protect her dignity not even a towel over her private area's, I could see it all all. This is really upsetting because as a career we always put a towel or something else other the residents to protect there dignity.

Response from Cathy White, Patient Experience Lead, Patient Experience Team, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to us.

Kind regards,

Cathy White

Response from East Surrey Hospital

Dear Anonymous, We pride ourselves on treating our patients with dignity and respect and so your observations are a cause for concern. I will pass them onto the matron responsible for that ward. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to us. Kind regards, Cathy White Patient Experience Team

Response from Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Anonymous

I will endeavour to ensure that all our staff are reminded to check that curtains are closed properly. It is our practice to cover patients with a towel for their dignity. I have briefed our other two ward sisters so we can all ensure this happens consistently within the ward.

Regards,