"The medics were so kind and reassuring, they did all they could"

About: South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / Emergency ambulance

I wanted to thank the paramedics who attend for their kindness and reassurance. I have an alarm button which I activated when suffering from abdomen / chest pains which felt particularly severe. The people who monitor the alarms called my neighbour who came round to see me immediately and they called for an ambulance – I’ve no idea whether they called 111 or 999! The paramedic arrived very quickly and gave a thorough check up blood tests, palpitated my tummy, took my blood pressure and monitored my heart.

The medics were so kind and reassuring, they did all they could to ensure I could stay at home and not be taken into hospital. I am so very grateful for this.

Response from Peter Brain, Volunteer, Healthwatch Devon

Dear 'Known 342'

The comments and responses on the web-site of Patient Opinion are shared with us at Healthwatch.

This experience you describe must have been very reassuring for you and for your neighbours, given that you have an alarm system for when things go wrong. Thank you for being willing to express your thanks in this way.

More generally we are building a picture of the provision of services in Devon and these comments will help the NHS and other providers develop and improve their services.

If you wish to discuss any health or social care issues with us in confidence, including seeking advice or information about services, please call 0800 520 0640, or email info@healthwatchdevon.co.uk or go on-line to www.healthwatchdevon.co.uk.

Yours sincerely

Peter Brain

Healthwatch Devon is the consumer champion for Health and Social Care in Devon.

Dear Known342

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I hope you are feeling much better now.

It is always rewarding to hear that our staff are continuing to provide excellent care to our patients when they need us most.

I would like to pass your kind comments onto the ambulance crew who came to your aid. Would you be able to contact me, laura.martin@swast.nhs.uk or call 01392 453831, at your convenience, with the date and address that the ambulance attended? This would allow me to identify the staff involved and ensure they are recognised for the care they gave.

Please quote your Patient Opinion user name Known342 in your contact.

Thank you again for providing feedback on our service.