"I would have liked help packing"

About: East Surrey Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

I stayed on Woodlands ward recently twice. My stay was wonderful apart from not knowing when I was going home.

I was unceremoniously bundled out of the hospital, given no help to pack, I was on crutches and felt that the nurse on my case could not be bothered with me before I had been regularly offered help to wash my feet and hair, but the day I needed the most help to pack no one was available, even the porter commented it is not easy to pack on crutches.

Response from Sally Harper, Patient Experience Facilitator, Patient Experience Team, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear NewKnee,

I am sorry that you felt neglected at a time when you really could have done with a little more help. As you will have experienced, our staff are very busy and sometimes have to juggle many priorities, but I do appreciate that this must have been very frustrating as well as difficult to manage.

I will make sure that the ward matron is aware of your comments so that a similar situation can be avoided and I thank you very much for taking the time to relay your experience to us.

With very best wishes,