"Lack of communication and care"

About: Devon Referral Support Services Livewell South West

I had an appointment in April 2015 with Plymouth Community Healthcare which I turned up to but had been cancelled. The receptionist couldn't have cared less and was quick to tell me it had been cancelled with no empathy to the situation considering I'm there for mental health services! This was a 10 am appointment but within two minutes of being there three people clocked off and the other workers were sat around starring into space! What kind of service really is there for people when I'm being turned away whilst there wasn't a single person waiting but yet workers seemed to sit around doing nothing at 10 am? The Devon Referral Support Service is barely a service let alone supportive so I don't know why they got support in the name? I still haven't heard from DRSS who owe me an apology and reimbursement for my wasted trip and rubbish service. Disgraceful services we have in Plymouth that's for sure.

Response from Wendy Hill, Livewell South West

Dear Mylo

I am so sorry to read of your recent experience with this mental health service in Plymouth Community Healthcare and apologise for the lack of concern shown to you.

It would be very helpful if you could make contact with me to discuss this further, to enable me to investgate your concerns and ensure you receive the support you need.

My e-mail is

Tel: 01752 434736

Kind Regards

Wendy Hill

Patient Experience Manager

Plymouth Community Healthcare

• Mylo thinks this response is helpful

Response from Devon Referral Support Services

Dear ‘Mylo’,

Thank you very much for sharing your story and I am very sorry that you had a wasted journey, that must have been incredibly frustrating.

Once DRSS books a patient into a service, we pass the referral information on to that service and that is the end of our involvement. It is then up to that service whether or not they confirm the appointment with you in writing and whether they make any changes to the appointment date, time or. We are not made aware of changes that occur after we book an appointment and so were not able to advise you of the cancellation.

You haven’t mentioned whether or not you have been given another appointment or not. If you haven’t and you would like DRSS to chase this up for you, we would be more than happy to. The number to call is 01752 398667.

Best wishes,

Susan Pearce

• Mylo thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Mylo (the patient)

As you all can see the Patient Experience Manager, Wendy Hill from Plymouth Community Healthcare has asked me to contact her so she can ensure I get the support I need.

I responded by email and explained my situation and how I would really like some help. Wendy responded by phone to say that she cannot help me because I had made a complaint about the service. Not sure if that's right but cant be bothered with such a rubbish service anyway.

Response from Claire Gatehouse, Patient Experience Manager, Livewell South West

Hi Mylo,

I am the new Patient Experience Manager at PCH (as Wendy has retired). I will look into this issue re what my role is if there is a formal complaint in process. I am new in the post so sorry I can not respond more fully today.

I will be back in touch via the website but you area also most welcome to ring me to discuss the matter with me or e-mail me so that I can contact you directly.

I am sorry that we have not managed to resolve this situation for you by now.

Claire Gatehouse

Tel: 01752 (4)34736

Email: claire.gatehouse@nhs.net

Response from Claire Gatehouse, Patient Experience Manager, Livewell South West

Dear Mylo,

As promised I have looked into the issue you raised about Wendy Hill asking you to contact her and then saying she can not help.

I have been advised that in order to ensure continuity if a complaint is ongoing then it is advised that there is no involvement of the Patient Experience Manager, in order to ensure that there is no possibility of confusion/ ‘muddying of the waters’. The complaints dept are the point of contact once a complaint is open. I know this might sound a bit bureaucratic but I think it makes sense to have a sinlge point of contact.

However, more importantly, I understand that your complaint is currenlty being investigated by NEW Devon CCG, not PCH. This is because you made you complaint to the CCG. When their investigation is complete they will advise you and PCH of any learning that we might need to make.

I hope that this explanation helps. Being new to the area myself I appreciate how confusing these systems can appear.

Best Wishes.