"Uncomfortable Mammogram"

About: Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital (Welwyn Garden City)

Yesterday afternoon I visited the Vicki Adkins Breast Unit for my annual mammogram. There was no delay with my appointment, which I was grateful for, but unfortunately, the experience was even more uncomfortable than usual. The Radiographer, although pleasant and friendly, didn't seem to be very competent. My breasts had to be moved numerous times before each x-ray was taken and some had to be taken more than once. On one occasion my breast was left trapped between the glass plates as the Radiographer tried to fathom out how to operate the machine. It was agony! A colleague had to be called in on two occasions to give advice. The Radiographer did apologise, as realised I had been in some considerable discomfort, but I left the hospital feeling quite traumatised by the experience.

Response from Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital

We're really sorry that this happened - we would be very happy to have the matter followed up with you personally so that we can understand what happened, as well as what steps might be taken to prevent such an experience happening again. If you are happy to do this, please email us at generalenquiries.enh-tr@nhs.net - we do hope that you give us that chance.