"Gastro problems"

About: Ayr Hospital / Gastroenterology

I have had long term gastrointestinal problems for years. Severe bloating, intestinal permeability and especially oral hyperkeratosis ('hairy' tongue) and really dry mouth.

I was waiting for an appointment for gastroenterology for more than 5 months. I was hoping to have a serious conversation with the doctor about my problems. As I have went through countless medical examinations and treatments and have done a lot of research in this area, I am fairly educated.

However, the doctor was lacking the knowledge and was not keen to discuss my problems, telling me that 'I cannot do anything about it' and 'it is absolutely normal'.

The doctor even refused to prescribe any medication.

Dear McCloud,

How frustrating for you. I am sorry it took so long to get your appointment and you then did not get what you wanted from the consultation. That leads to, what can we do now? If you let me know your name and date of birth I can ask the team to look into this for you and it may be possible to discuss your condition with another member of the team. If you do want to contact me you can phone me on 01563 826222 or email me at eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk

Best wishes

Eunice

• McCloud thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by McCloud (the patient)

Dear Eunice,

thank you for your response. I appreciate it. I'll drop you an email.

Kind regards,

I have passed the details on as we agreed. Thank you again for getting in touch both via PO and privately. Sometimes it is the only way to take things forward. I hope you get all the help you need and ultimately, the best way forward for your condition.

best wishes

Hello McCloud,

Again, thank you for your story and for contacting us. I am glad to hear we have the solution for your care for now. I do hope all goes well with your future care and health,

Best wishes,