"apointmenta a disgrace"

About: Royal Preston Hospital

Spine clinic Initial visit was for 2pm taken at 5pm! MRI appointment was for 5 pm on a Saturday evening in Chorley , which is a 2hr one way drive for me, Later changed to 1:30pm on a Saturday at Preston (only a 1.5 hour drive each way) . This was arranged in spite of me asking to get it done in my local hospital .( 15 min drive ) Results appointment was for today at 4:10 pm ( lost a days work for this , on backshift 4 till 12 ) Arrived in good time for appointment , noticed that they had posted a 30 min delay on notice board , all okay , 2 minutes later this changed to 60 min delay , at seeing this the gentleman sitting next to me said out loudly lies. I asked him what he meant and he replied his appointment was for 1:30pm and had yet to be taken therefore at least a 2.5 hour delay. I went in and seen the nurse dealing with the clinic and they informed that they were indeed running way behind . Best case scenario for me ( assuming no further delays) would be taken at 6:40pm out around 7pm and nice 1.5hr drive home in heavy evening traffic. No way I informed the duty nurse I was not waiting and left. Had you had the decency to phone me that you were running late , I could have rescheduled and not lost a nights work. An absolute disgrace.

Thank you for providing your feedback. I'm so sorry to hear of your experience as it is not one that we would want for any of our patients. I have forwarded your comments to the General Manager for the Orthopaedic Department for her information and action. Should you need any assistance in rearranging your appointment, can I ask you to please contact our PALS department on 01772 522972, who will be pleased to help.

Response from Royal Preston Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate how difficult and frustrating such lengthy waiting times are for our patients and were sorry to hear of your particular situation. Your comments have been forwarded to the General Manager for the Orthopaedic Directorate. However, we would be keen to ensure that your appointment is re-scheduled and, if that has not been done, can we ask you to please contact our PALS team, who will be pleased to help.