"Good care from paramedic and A&E for my hypo"

About: East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust / Emergency ambulance Pilgrim Hospital / Accident and emergency

I have had type 1 diabetes for 40 years. Over the last four years, the warning signs of a hypo have gone.

On the day I was admitted to Pilgrim A&E, I had a blood sugar reading of 6.4. I had my usual jab of 12 units before starting my lunch. 5 mins later I was having such a bad hypo (I know nothing of this, my husband told me later) that I had some sort of seizure.

The ambulance service was called and a Paramedic arrived minutes later. He administered dextrogel and fluids to bring me round before an ambulance arrved to take me to Boston.

At A&E I received good care. The staff administered more fluids and kept taking my blood sugar readings until it returned to a better situation. I was discharged four hours later by a very nice doctor/consultant.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear dabble

Thank you for your comments about the A+E department. I am pleased to hear that the care and treatment provided within the department for your hypo was good. I will pass on your feedback and thanks to all of the staff involved.

Regards

Michael Brunton

Matron A&E Pilgrim Hospital

Response from Melanie Wright, Deputy Director of People and Communication, East Midlands Ambulance Service

Dear dabble

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am pleased to see you received a prompt response from our EMAS.

Melanie Wright