"Nothing about me without me: real person-centred care"

About: NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde NHS Lanarkshire

Today I received a letter from Dr Clare Willocks at NHS Lanarkshire regarding my recent appointment with her to discuss my need for treatment in Lanarkshire for Early Menopause. A few weeks ago I got a similar letter from Dr Pererra at NHS Greater Glasgow.

Both these letters have been circulated to all professionals involved in my care - and most importantly have also been sent to me. They communicate where we are currently at with regards to my care and treatment, and also future plans going forward. I have never before experienced this - actively being included in communications between health professionals regarding my care. I think it is excellent and really demonstrates that I am the person at the centre of my care package. I am involved as an equal partner in making decisions moving forward.

I was also delighted to read that as a direct result of my Patient Opinion posts, NHS Lanarkshire are in preliminary discussions as to whether there is a need for a Specialist Menopause Clinic in Lanarkshire - which I am certain they will find there absolutely is a huge need.

A quote for an excellent article written recently by a friend and fellow campaigner GP Hannah Short "Let’s talk menopause. What I mean is, let’s get to the nitty-gritty and admit that we as professionals are failing women – 13 million of them. That’s the estimated number of women currently peri- or post-menopausal in the UK, equal to one-third of the entire female population. " You can read the full article here http://www.theguardian.com/healthcare-network/2015/apr/01/lets-talk-menopause-because-we-are-failing-13-million-women

So thank you Dr Pererra, Dr Willocks, Dr Gemmill for the excellent person centred care that I am receiving, and thank you Patient Opinion for helping me to not only access the right treatment - but hopefully helping other women access better care and treatment.

Lets keep talking Menopause and #changethechange. Follow our campaign here http://menopauseuk.org/about/

Response from Eileen Clarke, Senior Nurse, Care of the Elderly, Monklands Hospital

Dear Dazzle

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you have had such a positive experience in relation to your recent communication with NHS Lanarkshire and that you feel you are at the centre of your care. I will share your experience with our staff.

Many thanks for taking the time to contact patient opinion.

Response from Niall McGrogan, Head of Patient Experience and Public Involvement, I work for Dr Margaret Maguire, the Director of Nursing, here at NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

Dear Dazzle

Thank you for you kind posting. Its a really good example of how we....the NHS...can make a real difference on how our patients feel by considering the impact of how we communicate.

Also may I thank you for signposting Patient Opinion readers to further sources of information. Im sure otherreaders will find this of interest.

I will forward on your posting to Dr Pererra whom I m sure will be delighted.

All of the best in going forward.

Yours sincerely,