"Dehumanised & humiliated within 48 hours"

About: University Hospital Lewisham

Admitted from A&E to Linden Ward potentially for emergency surgery, I was questioned by one doctor who wanted to know the circumstances of how I contacted hiv, (the relevance of this is still a mystery to me) and then examined by another consultant surgeon who, very loudly, declared at the nurses station just outside the bay I was in, "I do not want to have to look after that man!". This was after they had shouted all my medical details across the bay to all the other people on the ward. The concept of patient confidentiality clearly bypassed them entirely. The staff nurse on day duty had a voice that could laser through the thickest concrete walls. They were not interested in nursing so much as shouting instructions at other staff & patients. The stress, humiliation and degradation I suffered in that hospital was nothing short of appalling.

Response from University Hospital Lewisham

Due to a technical issue you may not have received a response to your comments. Thank you for your feedback. I can only apologise for the experience you had. We take all feedback seriously and as a reflection of our practice. I have shared your comments with the departments and Ward involved with your care, to help improve the quality of service we deliver in the future.

Should you wish to discuss further please contact us at: LG.PatientExperienceLGT@nhs.net

Patient Experience Team