"Triage has been a barrier"

About: St Mary's Hospital

My wife had a hand operation at St Marys. A week after being discharged from outpatients she started suffering acute pain at the site of the operation. We attrended A&E where she was triaged to the attendant GP. The GP said she needed an X-ray so sent her back to her own GP to refer her back to St Marys for an X-ray.

A week later she still hasn't received any treatment apart from pain killers, and has no idea when she will see someone to analyse the X-ray and diagnose what has gone wrong with her hand.

The triage process should have recognised that the condition would require x-ray and referral to the surgical team that carried out the original operation. In this case triage has served as a barrier to patient choice and to quick and effective care.

Response from Vanessa Flower, Patient Experience Lead, Isle of Wight NHS Trust

Dear RedbinD

I am really sorry to read of your wife's recent experience following her surgery.

Your comments have been shared with the Orthopaedic Matron who would be very willing to look into your wife's case. If you have not already done so please contact the PALS team via 01983 534850 and we will ensure that your wife's case is looked into to ensure she gets the appropriate treatment.

Response from St Mary's Hospital

I was sorry to read of your wife's experience, and the apparent delay in her review. As this is anonymous posting, we are unable to look into this for you. If you have not already done so, please contact the PALS service on 01983 534850 and we can look into this directly. Meanwhile, I will share this comment with the teams involved to ensure that lessons are learnt from this valuable feedback.