"Handling of patient notes - QMC"

About: Queen's Medical Centre / Hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgery

Lying in a vulnerable state after major surgery, I was horrified to have my notes read out loud by one of my nurses, as if she were musing to herself.

As she went through my notes, she commented on some of them in a snarky and unprofessional manner. Perhaps she believed that I was so full of opiates I would not notice, mind, or even remember afterwards. I did and I do.

I felt judged, annoyed and vulnerable.

Response from Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

We are deeply concerned to read your feedback. This is not the way in which we would expect our staff to behave nor to communicate to patients, especially when it comes to updating patients about their care and treatment. We wish to look into this further and would welcome a conversation with you to enable us to do so. You can contact us on: 0115 9249924 ext. 67184 or by emailing sarah.kennedy@nuh.nhs.uk

Response from Queen's Medical Centre

This feedback was originally posted in April 2015 via the Patient Opinion website. There is presently a technical problem with the NHS Choices website. This means a back log of comments are presently being pulled from the Patient Opinion website later than usual. We have escalated our concerns to the NHS Choices team, who have assured us that their team are working to resolve the problem. We responded to this post back in April 2015. This feedback was shared with the staff involved at the time.