"ACute Medical Assessment unit"

About: East Surrey Hospital

my GP contacted the registrar of the unit on 1.4.15.and arranged for me to attend 9am 2.04.15. He gave me covering letter with details of an injection he had given me along with medical history and current medication and asked for assessment to exclude DVT. I arrived at 9am the communication in the unit was abysmal. Staff lacking confidence or training when dealing with out of norm situations. Having sat 9 hours observing they all seemed to lack direction and purpose and just muddled through. Imaging staff X Ray and CT staff pretty good. Missed CT scan slot because of incompetence. however a Consultant saw me about 4.30 however they suggested they give me a further injection and I come back the next day for the scan, I do not have transport the taxi fare is £40.. They then did arranged the scan at 4.50. Consultant was OK but judged against a poor unit. My GP had phoned my home at 7.10, to find out how the visit had gone, but I was not home by them, it must have been at least 6pm before I got a nurse to remove the canullar, I said they could send the report to Doctor and myself, as I was not prepared to stay any longer. I Always have excellent service from mydoctor's clinic they are fantastic !! take note.

Dear Hilda Turnham

I'm sorry to read about your recent experience on AMU. I would like to share your experiences with the team who I know will want to look into the issues you raise, but to do this it would be helpful if you could send me your details. Please e-mail ian.mackenzie@sash.nhs.uk and we will get back you you.