"Wrong results at sexual health clinic"

About: Ayrshire Central Hospital

My partner recently experienced a burning sensation when passing urine which made him contact the sexual health clinic due to being unable to get an appointment with his GP. Following tests the nurse informed him that it appeared to be nothing more than a uti. This was a relief.

However, 2 days later he was telephoned to inform him that he had chlamydia (ALTHOUGH HIS RESULTS WERE NOT BACK YET). This couldn't be possible as neither one of us had cheated. Needless to say, this caused a huge argument between us both which resulted in strain being put on our relationship.

2 days later my partner telephoned to receive his results from the automated line which revealed he was negative for everything.

I think it's shocking how the wrong information can be given before results are received.

Dear studentnurse88,

I am really sorry, what a distressing time you have both had. I agree it is not at all good to be given the wrong results. I wonder if your partner would be good enough to contact us off-line. It would be helpful to look at how this may have come about and let us learn from this. We really don’t want this to happen again. If could contact me with his name and date of birth, we can look into this further for you, My email address is- eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk or he could phone me on 01563 826222. Thank you for letting us know about this and I hope the impact of you both has now been resolved.

Best wishes,