"An amazing speech therapist"

About: Lanarkshire Community Services / Speech and Language Therapy

After having a severe cough for many years, I was finally referred to Moira the speech therapist at Hairmyers hospital in East Kilbride. I was very sceptical about what a speech therapist could possibly do for a cough!

She gave me breathing exercises and control techniques which mean I no longer have to carry a bottle of water or inhalers everywhere I go as my cough has more or less disappear! Amazing! My family now have to come and look for me rather than following the cough around supermarkets. Thank you Moira.

Response from Pauline Downie, Professional Lead, Speech & Language Therapy Services, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear izzyw

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with speech and language therapy (SLT).

I am very pleased to hear that you have had some relief from your cough due to the breathing exercises and that it has made your life easier.

I worked with Moira at Hairmyres for many years and I know what an excellent and dedicated SLT she is. I will speak to her personally to pass on your thanks.

I think that the job title doesn’t always reflect what SLTs do! SLTs can help adults and children with difficulties with voice, swallowing and stammering as well as speech, language and communication. If anyone wants to know more about SLTs have a look on the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapist’s website http://www.rcslt.org/

I hope that with continued use of the exercises and techniques that you are able to keep your cough under control.

With Kind Regards