"They're doing the job twice"

About: Queen's Medical Centre / General medicine

I would like to know why Principia are sending me duplications of the letters I get from the hospital about my appointment. I think it is a waste of money and I disagree with it. They're doing the job twice and now a days when the NHS is interested in cutting costs, I don't think it is necessary.

Response from Principia

Thank you for your feedback.

We recently took the decision to change our process after consultation with NHS Nottinghamshire County.

What was happening is that we were verbally making our patients aware of their appointment time, date and venue. We then informed our patients that their health care provider of choice (eg hospital) would write to them to confirm the appointment. Sometimes this wasn’t happening, fairly frequently with some providers.

The impact was that some patients were not sure if they should attend there appointment or not. The problem also seemed to be exacerbated with the reduction in waiting times, which was impacting on the time health care providers have to complete administration procedures.

We have communicated to our providers the impact of late/missing letters, and put in this new process to mitigate the risk of patients not attending their appointments.

We are continually reviewing our processes to improve patient experience so feedback like this is valuable.

Thanks