"Quality of hospital care"

About: Ayr Hospital / General Surgery

Was admitted to Ayr University Hospital via the 111 helpline service and A & E last May on one of the busiest weekends of the year. Admission to ITU was due to sepsis following laparotomy +hartmanns procedure for perforated diverticular disease.

My length of stay in hospital was 10 days.

I was subsequently readmitted to the same hospital recently for the reversal procedure, and discharged.

What was good:

auxiliary staff

hospital food

Intensive Therapy Unit

nursing care

surgeons attitude

ward care station 1/2

What wasn't good:

On call doctor and GP diagnosis

Dear Simpson,

I am so pleased that on the whole, your experience of the service was good and I will be delighted to pass this to the teams you have mentioned. I am sure they will very much welcome a pat on the back. On the other hand, I am sorry you felt that the GP’s diagnosis and the on-call doctor were not good. I will be happy to discuss this further or I could ask the team to look into your out-of-hours experience should you wish. If you would like to contact me and let me know your name and date of birth and what you would like me to do, you can contact me, by email on eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk or phone me on 01563 826222. In the meantime, I will pass this to the out-of-hour’s service for their consideration.

I hope you are well recovered from your procedure now,

Best wishes