"What a fantastic service!"

About: Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital (Wonford) / Trauma and orthopaedics

I have a hip problem for which my GP referred me to a specialist at the Wonford Hospital. Today I received a letter from the hospital asking me to call and make an appointment, which I did and have made an appointment to be seen in April. What a fantastic service!

I had both hips replaced 20 years ago, the left one has been fine but the right one needed to be re-done about 7-10 years ago. It is now troubling me again, particularly as I have arthritis in my right knee which is having a knock on effect on my hip. Wonford Hospital has been great.

I also wanted to let you know that it is very dementia friendly. My Husband has dementia and was in a residential care home for respite care when he suffered a fall and broke his hip last year. He was taken to Wonford hospital for treatment and would ordinarily have been discharged to the care home for recovery. However, I wanted my husband to be transferred to the Exmouth hospital which was unable to take him at the time. Wonford continued to treat him until a bed was available at the Exmouth hospital where he was then taken.

Response from Rebecca McGuffog, Patient Engagement and Experience Officer, Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Label273

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Orthopaedic Service at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you have received, and the speed with which you received an appointment. I am also grateful for your kind comments regarding the care your husband received. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received. I would like to wish you well with your future treatment.

Response from Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital (Wonford)

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care and treatment you and your husband have received at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.