"Uncaring nurses"

About: Good Hope Hospital / General surgery

I have breast cancer and I was admitted to Good Hope recently for an operation to remove my cancer. After the operation I was feeling very faint during the night and needed help to go to the toilet. The nurse took me to the toilet in a wheelchair and as I got back to the bed I felt very sick. I asked for a sick bowl which was provided and I felt faint and very ill. I asked the nure to stay with me for a minute as I was concerned about getting into bed. The nurse turned their back on me and said to another nurse "she wants me to stay with her" then said if you want any help just press your buzzer. The words were meaningless as the nurse didn't want to help me. All I wanted was a few minutes to reassure me and to feel safe.

Dear Anne Marie

Thank you for your post regarding your recent experience at Good Hope Hospital. I am concerned to read your comments and would like to reassure you that we take seriously any issues our patients highlight to us and we value your feedback. I am very sorry that you felt unsupported at a time when you felt unwell and vulnerable.

Can I please ask you to contact either myself or our Patient Services Manager Iona Belgrove on 0121 424 0808 so that we may obtain some more information which will enable us to identify your details on the system and ensure that your experience is looked into appropriately.

I hope this is acceptable and we look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Marie Helebert

• AnneW thinks this response is helpful

Response from Arne Rose, Consultant, Associate Medical Director for Good Hope Hospital , Management, Heart of England Foundation Trust

Dear Anne Marie,

Thanks for your honest feedback. I will discuss this with our head nurse. Please be in touch on Julie.taylor@heartofengland.nhs.uk so that we can respond to your concerns properly.

Best wishes