"Ankle Fusion Surgery"

About: Glasgow Royal Infirmary / Trauma & orthopaedics

I was involved in a motorcycle accident in July 2013 and have undergone 3 operations on my ankle since without success.

I have been delighted with the care received initially at Borders General and now at Glasgow Royal infirmary under Mr Kumar. Staff at both hospitals were excellent. The food is a bit bland and could be improved.

I have been on the list to have the fusion surgery since October 2014 and my date for surgery was March 15. However this was cancelled due to a backlog and Mr Kumar's secretary informed me that it looks like it won't be done until the end of April but cannot confirm a date.

I was wondering if you can advise me if this is normal and if a firm date has been set, as it is difficult to plan any holidays or a possible return to work.

Dear boyle123,

Thank you for getting in touch and I am so glad that the treatment and care you have had since your accident has been to a high standard, although I take on board your point regarding the food and will pass that on to my catering colleagues.

With regards to your future operation dates and the waiting times for this treatment, I have asked for some more information from the General Manager of this service, however it may also be helpful if you could contact me directly with more details. This way we may be able to provide you with a more personal response to your query. My email address is lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Wishes,

Lorna

Update posted by boyle123 (the patient)

Hi Lorna, Thanks for replying so quickly. I have been available for the surgery since October and would be happy to be taken in at any time. My previous operations were all done when expected, however this one seems to be getting delayed due to a backlog after christmas and what concerns me is the fact that a firm date has not been provided. I would like to book some holidays and try to plan a route back to work, but it is not possible when I don't know the time scales involved.

Regards