"Long wait for discharge"

About: North Tyneside General Hospital / Accident and emergency

After my 93 year of aunt received wonderful treatment in A&E and ass unit she was admitted to ward 7 for 2 days a well but discharge proved to be a nightmare.

We waited from 3 40 until 7 for discharge letter resulting in her getting very anxious and upset.

Surely the answer is ring relative when patients ready to be discharged!

I observed another gentleman who waited over 5 hours to take his wife home. I am sure that this procedure could be really tightened up on.

Response from Annie Laverty, Director of Patient Experience, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust We are preparing to make a change

Dear Irene,

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention - we are always extremely grateful when people take the time to give us feedback.

I am really sorry that your aunt was subject to these delays on discharge and for any anxiety this may have caused her. I am also sorry that as a family you were not informed about the decision to discharge in a timely way. Such a shame too when you felt her care up until this point had been wonderful.

As we received a similar story earlier this week about delayed discharges on ward 7, I know that one of our Chief Matrons Elaine Henderson is already looking into what difficulties the team may be having and what support may be required.

If there is any more information you would like to give us with respect to this please contact Elaine via email: Elaine.Henderson@nhct.nhs.uk

I am sure your Aunt will be delighted to be home and do hope she is recovering well.

with all best wishes and thanks again for giving us the opportunity to improve matters,

• IreneC thinks this response is helpful