"Going for a smear test"

About: Locala Community Partnerships CIC / Contraception and sexual health (CaSH)

I went for a smear test for the first time with the practice nurse at my GP's and this was a disaster - she said my cervix had “disappeared”, which scared me as I did not know what this meant.

After much probing, and ultimately me shrieking in pain, the process was stopped. She said I would have to see a lady doctor to try again - but to cut a long story short the doctor cancelled my appointment. I rang the Princess Royal Health Centre to see whether I could refer myself.

I told my story to a fantastic, sympathetic, understanding lady on the phone. She was super and really calmed me down. She told me not to worry about the “disappearing cervix” as this was in fact quite common. She said I would be welcome to attend the drop-in clinic. I didn’t get her name but I think she should be praised for her excellent telephone manner and understanding.

The follow-up is I was seen by a lovely nurse called Fran, who was sympathetic, and made me feel at ease. She located my cervix, did the test and the experience was pain-free. I was so happy I gave her a hug. I would definitely recommend the Princess Royal.

Response from Louise Thornton, Customer Engagement Manager , Adults Planned and Health and Wellbeing Business Unit, Locala Community Partnerships

Thank you very thankful women for sharing your story, I think I would have hugged Fran too.

Our nurses specialise in providing excellent sexual health care and take pride in caring for their clients. Great nurses need to be supported by great admin and it sounds as if a great job was done by all.

Louise Thornton