"Bowel cancer treatment delay"

About: County Hospital Louth / General surgery

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer at the beginning of January and because speedy treatment is essential I wanted to use my private medical insurance, my GP and hospital convinced me that because my notes were given the NHS 'white stamp' I would get priority treatment, After my scans my surgeon gave me a surgery date for the end of February so I used that time to change my lifestyle and diet to give myself the best possible chance, I took my bowel prep on the day of the surgery and arrived at Lincoln Hospital on time @ 7: 30, I waited 5 hours and was told I was next in theatre by my prep nurse then sent home because no intensive care bed was available, later that day a phone call gave me another appointment but made it clear there was no guarantee.

In order to go private I would need all my scans and biopsies to be redone, prolonging my despair, I'm now at the mercy of the NHS which I have completely lost confidence in.

Now I'm sat waiting and worrying that my cancer is spreading while I wait, catch it early they said, I did everything right except listen to NHS advise, why was I so stupid!

Response from Patient Experience Support Officer, Patient Experience, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear bowel v

Thank you for taking the time to share your story regarding your experience at Lincoln County Hospital.

I would like to look into this for you but, because stories posted on Patient Opinion are anonymous, we will need some more details.

Can I please ask that you contact our PALS team at Lincoln County Hospital on 01522 707071 or email pals@ulh.nhs.uk. The team will be able to take more details from you so they can look into why this has happened.

Sharon Kidd