"Lack of Dignity"

About: Rotherham PCT

As a patient attending the new Community Health Centre in Rotherham I was dismayed to experience the way I was called for treatment.

A disembodied voice from the direction of a recessed corridor called out my name and as I had not been told what to do I had to make my way towards the sound where the triage nurse was waiting for me.

I never saw a doctor.

There were approx 20 people chatting and children running round as they waited and this was not a clear and welcoming way to be called for an appointment.

Anyone hard of hearing would have been at a disadvantage.

Response from Helen Wyatt, Manager, Patient and Public Involvement , Quality Assurance Team, Rotherham Clinical Commissioning Group

Thanks for your post, I am sorry your experience at the centre was not good.

I am raising the issue with staff there, and will post a further response as soon as possible

Response from Rotherham Clinical Commissioning Group

“Thank you very much for your posting.

At the Walk-in-Centre we take all complaints very seriously and I am sorry that you have had a less than perfect experience on your recent visit.

Unfortunately as I don’t know which day you visited I was unable to speak with the staff on duty, however I have spoke to all staff regarding this incident. It is our policy for the clinical team to come and call all patients personally. However I can appreciate that some days when we are very busy the noise levels can be higher than we perhaps realise making it difficult for patients to hear the nurse /GP.

I have now asked the staff to make sure they are not just standing at the door shouting but to come into the waiting area and make sure that all patients know clearly who is calling them and where the call in coming from.

With regards to not seeing a GP, not all patients see the GP if the nurse can deal with the presenting condition, this is our common practice. I sincerely hope that this has not put you off attending the WIC in the future”

Shona Dunsmore