"A & E Processing"

About: Basildon University Hospital

After being unable to get a GP home visit or an ambulance brought my husband to A& E by car. He was in very severe pain as had a kidney stone. I filled in the form after seeing the triage nurse and handed to the reception, both people I spoke to I requested if my husband could lie down as he was nearly passing out from the pain. I was told we would just have to wait. After 2 hours we were called in to see a nurse who took a blood test and gave my husband a suppository pain killer. Again I asked if he could lie down somewhere, again we were told we would have to wait until we saw the doctor. 4 hours later we were called in to see the doctor. My husband was admitted and underwent surgery the following day. I appreciate the pressures A&E have but looking at the other people waiting with us who had minor injuries to arms or legs I felt we were waiting in the wrong place. A friend who is a sister at Queens hospital A&E said we should have been put into majors straight away. We have no complaints about his treatment following admission.

Response from Basildon University Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments following your husband's recent admittance to Basildon Hospital. We are sorry that you have had cause to raise concerns about his experience in the A&E Department and wish to assure you that your comments have been shared with the department's senior team. If you would like to discuss your comments further, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) office on 01268 394440 or email pals@btuh.nhs.uk. We hope your husband is recovering well from his surgery and wish him all the best for his future good health. Thank you once again for your feedback.