"Elderly Care"

About: Southampton General Hospital

My 100 year old Mum was admitted with a broken arm.Prior to the fall she was mobile,erudite,and cared for herself.Within 2 weeks she was immobile, incontinent, confused and agitated. During her stay she was moved 10 times, either to different wards, different rooms on same wards on even to different floors !! Her dentures were lost, plus 2 pairs of slippers and umpteen nighties. I repeatedly asked why she hadn't initially been admitted to an orthapaedic rehab unit, only to be told they hadn't a bed and when they did have a bed Mum was immobile because she'd been confined to bed/chair and Brownhill wouldn't take her !! I blame the General for that. Sadly, she died just 2 weeks after I'd managed to get her moved to a Care Home, and I was more saddened that her Death Certificate named dementia as a secondary cause. I have heard several similar stories from friends and neighbours regarding the care their elderly relatives endured too. In my opinion Southampton General caused the last months of her life to be extremely sad and miserable.

Response from Southampton General Hospital

We were very sorry to read of the experience that you and your mother had at the hospital and would like to offer you our sincere condolences on her death. Please do not hesitate to contact the Patient Support Services on 023 8120 6325 if you would like to discuss this in more detail. We would welcome the opportunity to talk to you and investigate some of the issues you raise.