"Southern general maternity"

About: Southern General Hospital / Maternity care

Excellent midwives in labour suite however once id had my baby I was sent up to the ward where my experience was awful. I was struggling to breastfeed my baby and each time I was told to buzz when attempting to latch baby on so the midwives could check positioning and attachment. I did this, and each time was told staff were unavailable, or that 'someone would be soon' which never materialised. Midwives seemed only to be bothered with dishing out painkillers and formula milk.

I thought breastfeeding was supposed to be encouraged but I saw very little signs of encouragement from staff here. I was only able to successfully feed thanks to the excellent support I received from community midwives from my local unit once back home (I practically discharged myself as staying in overnight to 'establish breastfeeding' was a complete joke)

Response from Pat Tyrrell, Deputy Director of Nursing and Midwifery, NHS Highland, Nursing and Midwifery, NHS Highland

Dear Sghreview,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience and I am so sorry to hear of the lack of support that you received to help you with breastfeeding. We are very keen to help and support women and babies with breastfeeding so it is important that we understand your experience in order that we can make improvements.

I am not sure if you are in Argyll and Bute? If you are and would be willing to discuss this in more detail please contact me at p.tyrrell@nhs.net

Many thanks.

Thank you for taking time to share your experience and I am sorry to hear about the lack of support that you received with breastfeeding while you were in the Southern General Hospital. We are very keen to help and support women and babies with breastfeeding so it is important that we understand your experience in order that we can make improvements.

If you would be willing to discuss this in more detail, please forward on your contact details to Lorna Gray at lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk.

Regards,