"Lack of urgency in A&E"

About: Gilbert Bain Hospital / Accident & emergency

I just want to comment on my treatment at the A&E in Lerwick last week.

On arrival I was treated as if I had rudely interupted a vital gossiping session in the staff room. I was sent to the waiting room without any questioning about my accident/emergency.

I had an open wound and only got the staff's attention eventually when I started to cry and verbalise how much pain I was in (which was a result of shock from my injury). They said they had lost track of patients waiting, and seemed totally unaware of who was there and for how long.

Usually in A&E, patient details are immediately taken at the desk and are treated in order of the urgency of their medical issue. There was no such order here and a shocking lack of urgency. Perhaps the staff needed a reminder they are working in an EMERGENCY ward that demands their full attention and a better working system?

Response from Kathleen Carolan, Director of Nursing and Acute Services, Nursing, NHS Shetland

Thank you for your feedback it is very important to us and is used to help improve the service we offer to patients.

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a fully positive experience If you would like to contact me directly so that we can follow this up and provide a comprehensive response to the concerns you have raised then please email me.

Best wishes