"Excellent reception, phlebotomy could be improved"

On booking a blood test the receptionist was extremely polite, kind and helpful. On arrival at the hospital again reception were excellent. The hospital appeared nice and clean. The blood test department needs better organisation, the staff some patient care training and there needs to be an alternative for patients who are allergic to tape. Being told tape is all they have and can't you just wear it for 10 minutes isn't really good enough.

Response from Louise McIver, Patient Involvement Coordinator, Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your post relating to your Blood Test appointment and I am pleased to hear that the reception within both areas were polite, kind and helpful - I will certainly ensure these comments are passed to the staff concerned.

It is also great to hear that you found the hospital clean so again I will pass this on also.

I will ensure that the comments relating to care needs of patients allergic to tape are looked into and that the communication could be more helpful.

I thank you for your comments and taking the time to contact us and wish you well for the future.