"A&E Experience: 11. p.m (approx) Saturday 14th..."

About: Good Hope Hospital

Having a long standing cardiac condition, the sudden loss of vision in one eye was enough to indicate a possible stroke. An overnight case for just such an occasion was already on standby. The 999 operator could have been more explicit with her questions. However, within three minutes a Paramedic was at my house. Re-assurance; a professional manner and fast attention from the visiting Paramedic who then drove me to the A&E Dep't was impressive. Between the time of my arrival and formal admittance at 8:30 a.m, I had been examined - albeit briefly - on three separate occasions by various members of staff. I was fortunate to be given a private room with en-suite. Breakfast was served and attending staff were polite, professional and communicated well. The two days of examinations and tests culminated in a one-to -one diagnosis and prognosis by a senior Doctor and his Deputy. The Discharge documentation was comprehensive and informative for both patient and Primary Care Staff. Subsequent follow-up appointments were dealt with in a professional manner . Comparing this experience with Private Care on many previous occasions, there is no doubt in my mind that the NHS performs an excellent service under very difficult conditions and bearing unrealistically high expectations by the general public and a highly critical Press.

Response from Iona Belgrove, Patient Services Manager, Heart Of England NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Mr Peter John Parker

Thank you for taking the time and trouble emailing Patient Opinion regarding your experience at Good Hope Hospital. It was a pleasure and a joy to read your email and I have forwarded onto our Communications department to publish.

Once again, thank you for your compliments regarding Good Hope Hospital.

With kind regards and a speedy recovery

Response from Arne Rose, Consultant, Associate Medical Director for Good Hope Hospital , Management, Heart of England Foundation Trust

Dear Mr Parker,

thank you so much for your feedback - I will make sure I share it with A&E and stroke service.

Best wishes