"Received full and well measured atention"

About: Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh at Little France / Accident & Emergency Scottish Ambulance Service / Emergency Ambulance

My wife fainted in Edinburgh and in hitting the pavement damaged various parts of her body. The first person on the scene was off duty Consultant from A&E who attended to her condition and called an ambulance to take her to the Royal Infirmary.

Firstly the ambulance crew were superb and despite some concerns about her condition, they provided both care in the ambulance but also made sure we were booked in timeously and I was kept fully informed throughout.

Saturday night, with the Rugby in town, meant it was very busy and some delays were inevitable. However she was seen very quickly and each member of staff who attended to each stage of the process was very calm, reassuring and professional. We only saw the individuals, but their systems seemed to ensure that each member of the team was well coordinated and was working together.

The treatment was exceptional and the doctor with his overseeing colleague were again both calm and reassuring - just what was needed.

It has to be stressed, that they seemed to be very busy with Police accompanying several 'patients' but we never felt at any time that our more minor injuries were receiving anything less than full and well measured attention.

Despite not having anyone's names, we really would like the team to know how much we appreciated their care and their approach to the issues.

Response from Martin Esposito, Patient Experience Manager, Corporate Affairs and Engagement Department, Scottish Ambulance Service

Hi Mungo

I was sorry to hear about your wife’s accident at the weekend but really pleased to hear about the treatment she received. I hope she is recovering well. I will forward your comments onto the South East operational management team and hopefully they will disseminate your story and thanks through their teams.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Response from Customer Relations and Feedback Team, NHS Lothian

Dear Mungo

Thank you very much for taking the time to post about your wife's accident. It was lovely to read how pleased you were with the attention your wife was given by the staff in A & E.

I will pass your comments on to the A & E staff who I am sure will also appreciate you taking the time to post. I do hope your wife is now making a full recovery.