"I was so relieved to be well again"

About: Bromley Healthcare / Working for wellbeing (IAPT)

I was struggling with anxiety and stress, and with a history of mental illness and a young son, I wanted to find out what was going on and stop it.

I self-referred to CBT at Bromley Healthcare through their website. They got back in touch really quickly to do a second diagnostic check, and then phoned back to explain there was a really long waiting list, and that they would keep me in touch. They phoned about every 6 weeks to let me know how the waiting list was going, and offered me group counselling if I wanted something quicker.

In the end I waited about 6 months and then had 10 weekly sessions of CBT. The therapist was brilliant - immediately put me at my ease, and picked up on things I said, and then shaped her next session around it (eg recognised I really enjoyed reading and studying, so suggested some books).

I was worried 10 sessions wouldn't be enough, but she shaped the sessions so that I felt like I was being helped on a journey that meant by week 9 I was struggling to find things to talk about. I was so relieved to be well again.

Response from Amanda Mayo, Head of Nursing, Quality Team, Bromley Healthcare

I am so pleased that you are feeling better and that the staff in the IAPT team at Bromley Healthcare were able to support this.

I will ensure that they see your posting as it is always lovely as a clinician to receive feedback like this.