"My experience with a herniated disc in my spine."

About: NHS Fife

Severe back pain in May 2013, attended G. P who prescribed Gabapentin for the pain and referred me for physio. I purchased a TENS machine and used it almost continually as well as heat pads on my back and right leg. By Christmas sciatica and movement was improved and I went swimming weekly.

May 2014 another sever bout of back pain and sciatica. Went to GP, prescribed this time Amitriptyline for pain and referred to Physio. Several weeks later no improvement, then physio appointment arrived. Attended weekly, did the exercises and found the physio, (a different one) very patient and good.

After several months, I attend Tai Chi and Aqua gym and swim each weekly and have almost no pain and can walk more, ie 500 yards. I am 61 years old and was always fit.

I feel strongly that a triage for physio would be so much better than drugs that have little effect and horrid side effects at an early stage. The patient must work hard to get better with support and it is a life long chronic care regime.

End if my story. 15. 2 2015

Response from Louise Ewing, Patient Relations Manager, NHS Fife

Dear Daisie Lees

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience of pain, which sounds so debilitating. It is clear that you are firmly committed to doing what you can to help yourself and good to hear of the support that enabled you to achieve progress. I will make sure your post is passed on to the appropriate people to enable them to consider the point you are making. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

Kind Regards