"Thank them from the bottom of my heart"

About: Royal Alexandra Hospital / General Surgery

I was admitted to ward 29 of the RAH in paisley this week for a planned operation the next day, I Just want to say how happy I was with my care given by the night staff and some of the day staff before my operation the on the Friday as they went out there way to give me the care I needed.

I was however unhappy that water was not available to me when requested four times in the ward not one nurse came to ask me and when I requested it, one of the nurses was very nippy and didnt have a nice attitude I was still waiting until the night staff came on to which I could not take my tablet. I eventually had to go to the tap in the toilet and get water to drink. I would clearly suggest that when admitted the nurses ask if you would like water as being a diabetic I was feeling very dehydrated.

but could not fault any member of the staff who dealt with my care and I thank them from the bottom of my heart

Dear waterloo,

First of all, I am really pleased that you felt well cared for by the staff when you had your recent operation. I am however concerned that you were not given access to fresh water as this should always be provided for every patient. It is important not only to enable patients to take medication when required, as you highlighted, but also to ensure patients stay hydrated and are getting the right amounts of fluid.

I have already sent this on to the General Manager for this service and will come back to you with further comments as soon as possible.

Best Wishes,

Lorna

• waterloo thinks this response is helpful

Dear waterloo,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding Ward 29 but I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy regarding the amount of water you were offered. Having spoken with the staff in ward 29 they would also would like to offer their apologies.

Within Ward 29 patients are not routinely given water jugs due to the volume of patients fasting for procedures. However patients should be given drinks when requested and I can only apologise once again this was not the case on your admission.

Regards,

Lorna Reid,

Lead Nurse, General Surgery and ENT - Clyde

• waterloo doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} of {{totalOthers()}} other people think it is helpful

Update posted by waterloo (the patient)

Thank you for the response in relation to this matter, given however I was a diabetic patient water however should still be available like in all other GGC Hospitals. As I was in the Royal Infirmary were water was available to me at any time given I was having surgery also, but was able to have water from the day I went in to the day I left without any problem, I would also like to ask that clearer guidelines for patients requesting water are displayed within this ward as I was left without water from 3pm until 8pm and had to go to a tap to get water given this was requested several times especially for taking my tablets.

Thank you again but I would not like to see other patients going through similar situations