"hello my name is......"

About: Western General Hospital / Neurology

My mum has been in the neuro unit for nearly 2 weeks and as a family we have encountered many members of staff. The only people to introduce themselves have been two doctors. So disappointing in this day and age.

On another note, I think care rounds are actually tick box exercises. During one such round, not once was there any verbal or physical interaction with my mum. Raises the question as to 'how to prove quality care is being provided'. Paperwork tells one story, but what we witnessed tells something entirely different.

I left feeling concerned that my mum's care is far from adequate.

Response from Derek Barron, Associate Nurse Director, Mental Health Services, NHS Ayrshire and Arran

Dear Safety

Hello my name is Derek

I'm responding on behalf of Ann Gow, Nurse Director who is on leave this week - I know Ann would be disappointed to hear of your experience, as am I.

Firstly thank you for taking the time to post your comments, it's only with real time feedback that we know how well we are doing and where we need to continue to focus our attention.

The care rounding approach is designed to be specific points where care is reviewed along with the patient. It is disappointing that this hasn't been your experience during your mum's time in hospital.

I will pass your comments onto my colleague Angela O'Neill (Associate Murse Director, Acute Services) and ask her to highlight your comments to the team involved - I am equally sure Angela will be disappointed to hear of your experience. I'm not sure if Angela is able to respond directly on Patient Opinion, however either Angela or I will come back to you once she has spoken to the ward team.

Thank you for providing your feedback to us.

Derek

• Safety thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Safety (a relative)

Derek, thank you for taking the time to reply, it's much appreciated. However, there has been a mix up with my reporting on this issue. It relates to the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh, not Crosshouse. I have asked the PO team to amend accordingly. Sorry about that.

Thank you for letting me know Safety,

I'll pass this information onto the team

Thanks

Derek

• Safety thinks this response is helpful

Response from Gina Alexander, Director, Patient Opinion Scotland, Patient Opinion

Hi Safety

Sorry! Wrong to assume that it was Crosshouse. We've retagged your story now and will make sure that NHS Lothian is aware and can respond.

Thanks for being in touch and hope things are going ok for your mum.

Best

Gina

• Safety thinks this response is helpful

Response from Customer Relations and Feedback Team, NHS Lothian

Dear Safety

Firstly I apologise for the delay in responding. Thank you for taking the time to post on Patient Opinion.

I am extremely disappointed to read your post. NHS Lothian is encouraging all staff members to introduce themselves to patients and families so I am hopeful that this will improve.

If you have concerns or a complaint about your mother's care please contact the Customer Relations and Feedback Team on 0131 536 3370, email craft@nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk or write to Waverley Gate, 2-4 Waterloo Place, Edinburgh, EH1 3EG. In the meantime I will forward your post on to the relevant Clinical Management Team for their information.

Response from Craig White, Divisional Clinical Lead, Directorate of Health Quality and Strategy, Scottish Government

Dear Colleagues in Lothian,

I hope you won't mind my pointing out the irony in your response - in that there is no name of the person who wrote the response? I wonder whether this could be reviewed as people have reported how much of a difference it makes to know who is replying to them.

Best regards,