"Right thumb cut"

About: Royal Preston Hospital

After cutting my right thumb on a kitchen knife Saturday evening, I visited Lancaster Royal infirmary. As I had reduced sensation down the right hand side of my thumb, it was agreed that I should visit the plastic surgery Department at Preston Hospital the following day. Even on a Sunday morning I was overwhelmed by the amount of staff in what seemed to be a relatively small department. I was seen by not one but two of the plastic surgery Department team, one of which was the plastic surgery registrar. After she had examined my wound she decided that I should visit the theatre for further investigation. As my case was not scheduled one, I was asked whether I wanted to wait and maybe there was a chance of getting me in on that day,or to reschedule for a later day in the week . I agreed to wait on the off chance they may operate on that day. After 4 hours I was seen by a nurse and booked in for an operation under local anaesthetic. After about 45 minutes in surgery and approximately eight stitches later, my wound was cleaned up and dressed. I was again very impressed by the cleanliness of the sterile areas. Also the detailed logs of all instruments and liquids used. I cannot thank enough the plastic surgeon registrar the team.

Response from Royal Preston Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to tell us of your experience. Staff work hard to provide a positive experience and it's always extremely pleasing to hear that is reflected in the care offered.

Thank you for telling us of your experience; it's always pleasing to hear that the care provided is of the standard we aim to offer all our patients. Please be assured that your feedback has been shared with staff in the department concerned.