"extream waiting times"

About: Newton Abbot Hospital

while attending the out of hours doctor our daughter was seen within minutes by the nurses station who took temp, heart rate and administered some medicine to help with the fever. Our daughter had a temp over 100. We then took a seat and waited 4 hours to be seen!! I would expect that a 3 year old with a temp over 100 and a rash would seem to be a priority!! Also none of the rating questions have any connection to our visit.

Response from Emma Davies, Quality and Experience Officer, Torbay and Southern Devon Health and Care NHS Trust

Dear Enquirer,

Thank you for providing this feedback, I am sorry you have found it necessary to raise these concerns. We value all feedback and appreciate the time you have taken to provide this.

I note the service that you were waiting to see, was the out of hours doctor service (Devon Doctors), I have contacted them and requested that they respond to your concerns directly. I am however, very pleased to hear that you were seen so promptly by the nurses at the nursing station. If there is anything further that I can help you with, please don't hesitate to contact me further.

Yours Sincerely

Emma Davies

Feedback and Engagement Officer

Torbay & Southern Devon Health and Care NHS Trust

Bayhouse | Nicholson Road | Torquay | TQ2 7TD

01803 217397

Response from Peter Brain, Volunteer, Healthwatch Devon

Dear 'anonymous' patient,

The comments and responses on the web-site of Patient Opinion are passed to us at Healthwatch.

This experience you describe was evidently a frustrating and worrying one, with a delay far beyond what you might expect. It is important that you have raised this through Patient Opinion and that the relevant provider has been expected to respond.

More generally we are building a picture of the provision of services in Devon and these comments will help the NHS and other providers develop and improve their services.

If you wish to discuss any health or social care issues with us in confidence, including receiving advice or information about services please call 0800 520 0640, or email info@healthwatchdevon.co.uk or go on-line to www.healthwatchdevon.co.uk.

Yours sincerely

Peter Brain

Healthwatch Devon is the consumer champion for Health and Social Care in Devon.