"Very happy with standard of care at RAH A&E"

About: Royal Alexandra Hospital / Accident & Emergency

I was admitted to A&E at RAH one afternoon in January. It was very busy and there were some 'challenging' patients (plus a fair few police officers! ).

I wouldn't be able to cope with working there; the RAH staff can and do, very ably. They were highly professional, competent, helpful and good-humoured. The surroundings may not be the most salubrious but I can't knock the care in any way.

There was quite a wait to transfer me to a ward, which I mention as it meant me taking up A&E space that might have been used for a new admission. Obviously this situation is common to most hospitals, I would imagine, and it would be good to see the NHS addressing this for the future (personally, I would be happy to be in a designated 'holding area' for those awaiting transfer to wards assuming I was in a stable condition).

Dear SAJ,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your account of your time in A&E at the Royal Alexandra Hospital - your kind comments about the staff demonstrate their ability to work in very challenging environment while still ensuring that every patient feels well taken care of. I know that they will be pleased to hear that this has been recognised and I will make sure your comments are passed on.

You are right that the transfer of patients from A&E to the most appropriate wards can be a challenge and can sometimes result in waiting times like you experienced. This is constantly monitored to reduce transfer waiting times as much as possible and your comments will be used as part of this continual improvement process.

Lorna