"Operation cancellation"

About: Good Hope Hospital / General surgery

In August 2011 I had an operation due to having bowel cancer. I could not fault the service and aftercare I had at Good Hope hospital here in the West Midlands.

I have since been suffering with a hernia close to the site of where my temporary stoma was sighted. In February of this year I was due to have an operation, and after going through all the preliminaries including even being marked by the surgeon for the operation, I sat there in my gown and was told by hospital personnel that unfortunately they would have to cancel my operation as no bed would be available after my op. I was assured that within 48 hours I would be given a new appointment that would be within 28 days. To date NOTHING. Fobbed off comes to mind.

Response from Arne Rose, Consultant, Associate Medical Director for Good Hope Hospital , Management, Heart of England Foundation Trust

Dear Tonattam,

I am hoping that we can get you a new appointment very soon.

Best wishes,

• Tonattam doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} of {{totalOthers()}} other people think it is helpful

Update posted by Tonattam (the patient)

On 05/02/2015 I had a response from a consultant at Good Hope hospital concerning my complaint concerning my cancelled operation. He or she mentions that they have not cancelled any patients for surgery recently. As this only happened to me on Monday 02/02/2015 I cannot accept their response to my initial complaint.

Response from Good Hope Hospital

Dear Tonattam, while short term cancellations are common, especially during the winter months, it is clearly not right to be told to get a new appointment and then not receive one. If you could please get in touch with me or one of the hospital complaints team, so that we can sort this for you. I am sorry for the poor experience. Just now we are having an improved bed situation, so we did not have to cancel any patients for surgery recently. I am hoping that we can get you a new appointment very soon. Best wishes, Dr A. Rose