"Disappointing Service Over Telephone"

About: Kidderminster Hospital

I work for a small but very busy Dental Practice in Stourport-on-Severn and understand how busy the likes of the staff must be on a daily basis. However, I was mortified when I needed to contact the hospital on behalf of a patient from our practice; I first called the main reception number to be greeted by a young woman who was clearly not enthusiastic in the slightest, and almost exhaled her words like she'd given up on everything entirely, slurring her words back to me like a sloth. After 3 attempts of requesting a particular department, she finally transferred me to the correct department that I needed. This is where I met one of her just as enthusiastic colleagues, who clearly felt she was far too busy and important to be taking my call! I made it clear where I was calling from and the purpose of the call to which she replied very abruptly, very sharply asking me for the details again and again, and once I finally had the information I needed from her, I wanted to thank her for her time but mid-sentence, the phone went down the other end with a slam! Like I said before, working within the NHS I do fully understand that the days can be extremely busy, however I really do feel sorry for the patients who are being treated by the sort of staff that greeted myself over the phone this morning. I could've been anyone on the other end of that conversation and I would never (being a full time receptionist myself) dream of greeting patients / customers in such a manner! Myself and the rest of our staff attend regualr meetings / training regarding patient welfare so perhaps a staff training session on customer service ASAP may not go a miss!!

Response from Kidderminster Hospital

Thank you for your feedback; we're sorry to hear of the issues you experienced when you tried to contact Kidderminster Hospital. We would be grateful if you could contact our Patient Services Office on 0300 123 1733, or by email at patientservices.dept@worcsacute.nhs.uk and provide some more information about who you spoke with so that we can address this with the relevant teams.