"Excellent Service"

About: Scottish Ambulance Service / Emergency Ambulance

I am a 76 year old who was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when I was 60 years old. I have managed the complaint very well with only a few Hypos. I went to America for Christmas and because I had a Stroke in June last year I had to pay £908 for medical insurance for a two week visit.

Yesterday I was dressing when I felt unwell but had just taken a blood-sugar reading which was 5. 7. I lay on the bed and started thrashing about uncontrollably. The next thing I knew I was being cared for by some Paramedics from the Kelso Ambulance Station. They gave me an intravenous sugar solution and I eventually regained consciousness. I do not know their names but one was a Technician and the other a Paramedic. Not only were they thoroughly professional but also good humoured and re-assuring. I would be grateful if you would pass my grateful thanks to them for their prompt action. After a doctor's visit I slept soundly from 10. 00am to 5. 30pm am 22. 00pm until 08. 00am. It was the worst Hypo I have ever experienced and I am most grateful to the National Health Service for such splendid service.

Thanks again

Response from Martin Esposito, Patient Experience Manager, Corporate Affairs and Engagement Department, Scottish Ambulance Service

Hi Cobbydog

Thank you for sharing your story. It must have been a terrifying experience, especially having just checked your blood sugar levels. Am really pleased that we were able to help and that you are recovering well. I will try and track down the ambulance crew from Kelso and pass on your thanks. If I can't identify the crew who attended to you I may come back to you for more information if that is okay?

Take care and thanks again

Martin.

• cobbydog thinks this response is helpful

Dear Cobbydog

I hope you are well. I just wanted to let you know that I managed to locate the ambulance crew who treated you last week and will ensure that your thanks are passed onto them.

Take care

Martin.

Update posted by cobbydog (the patient)

Thank you so much. They deserve my grateful thanks.